Monday, November 28, 2022

Rafters - day 2

 Today I managed to get the first 7 rafters in place.  It was a tough job working alone.  First, I had to raise the very heavy ridge beam up about 7 feet above the top of the walls.  It was too heavy and awkward to lift up alone so what I did is I strapped an extension ladder to the east end wall.  I tied a nylon strap around the beam and ran it up over the top rung of the ladder and down to where I hooked it to my electric hoist.  Then I used the hoist to raise the ridge beam above the necessary height.  Leaving it there I could climb the step ladder and screw on a horizontal support and then lower to beam to that support.

Raising the Ridge Beam

Winch to lift Roof Beam

Once I got the east end of the beam lifted the west end was relatively easy since I could work standing on the loft floor and only had to lift it about 6'.  Once the beam lifted and adjusted into position I started raising the rafters.

Rafters on the west end were much easier than on the east, again, because I could work from the loft floor. On the west end I only had to climb a ladder about twice for each rafter.  On the east end it was much more difficult, trying to raise and support both ends of the rafter while standing on a ladder. For one rafter I counted 10 times up and down the ladder.

But, I managed to get the first 7 rafters up, 4 on the west end and 3 on the east end.

East end rafters

Rafters seen from the south

Rafters seen from the north

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lots of progress

 Since the last post I've gotten a lot done. Finished the spackling and painting and painted the inside of the front door. I picked up a...